Thursday, January 6, 2011

Harvard Shmarvard

What is with the guilt when you become a mom? 

This morning I was reading a study where Harvard researchers noted a 73% increase since 1980 in overweight infants under 6 months old.  This was attributed to what the baby was fed before being born.  Moms who eat like crap during their pregnancy end up with higher blood sugar and pass the glucose on to the baby -- the more glucose the baby gets, the more insulin cells the baby develops.  If the baby develops more and more insulin cells they'll be predisposed to being overweight and may become insulin resistant as they age. 

I'll admit I wasn't the most nutritious eater while pregnant.  I had been a vegetarian for years, but all of a sudden turkey sandwiches and burgers called to me.  I felt nauseous most of the time and the only thing that took the edge off was a good burger.  Did I eat unhealthy "enough" to predispose Mia to weight gain?

Guess only time will tell, but for now I'm feeding Mia as healthy as I can and trying to stave off the guilt of any pregnancy over indulgences.  She loves broccoli and hates sweets.  I'm taking that as a sign that everything is going to be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment